WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS JOB //
Reporting to the VP, Global Event Operations, the primary responsibilities of this position are supporting GMR’s Olympic Partners in managing local market aspects of their Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games hospitality and experiential programs. Including, but not limited to, vendor and venue sourcing and contracting, TOCOG communications, local market and cultural expertise, site inspection support, local staff recruiting and hiring, and onsite operations and execution. The Account Director may also lean in on other elements of clients’ Olympic sponsorship as it evolves to support the broader GMR team.
GMR Marketing is an industry-leading, innovative and fun-loving experiential marketing agency. We tap into passions – music, sports, entertainment, lifestyle – to connect brands to their audiences.
Our team is made up of strategic thinkers, marketing specialists and experienced Olympic professionals who collaborate to create extraordinary experiences for our clients. We are creative, fast paced, disciplined and forward-looking.
The GMR Olympic Account Teams are based in Milwaukee, Charlotte and San Francisco. This position will work closely with all offices and be based in the GMR Tokyo office.
YOUR IMPACT //
- Serve as day-to-day local market contact for key Japanese stakeholders and vendors
- Provide ongoing consultation and expertise for program development, Olympic landscape navigation, and logistics management, as well as other areas as required
- Liaise with TOCOG as required and directed by VP, GEO and other GEO team members.
- Support various elements of program planning including hotels, venues, food and beverage, décor, entertainment, transportation, local staffing, equipment, etc.
- Manage vendor relationships, including contracting, payments and oversight of the deliverables and quality of work
- Manage and support junior Japanese staff including coaching, quality control, and skills development
- Create client facing presentations and manage meetings with senior level clients
- Onsite supervision/coordination of activation elements as needed to ensure successful execution
- Develop/maintain a thorough working knowledge of the Tokyo 2020 Olympic Games including key contacts, venues, sponsors, sports, etc.
- Ability to travel. Requires 20+ days of continuous travel during the Olympic Games, and multiple site inspections in the lead up/planning phase
- Other duties as assigned
YOUR EXPERIENCE AND SKILLS//
- Bachelor’s Degree required; additional education in Business, Sports Management, Marketing, Tourism or Hospitality Management a plus
- 7 – 10 years of experience in event or logistics management
- Previous Olympic experience is preferred
- Experience with large scale event management is preferred
- Meticulous attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent time management and multitasking skills – remains calm under pressure
- Composed and professional: daily contact with GMR core team, clients and stakeholders via face-to-face communication/presentations, email and phone. Proactively provide updates
- Strong written and verbal English and Japanese communication skills
- Strong work ethic – collaborative team player who is proactive and driven, works well on a team or independently
- Passionate and motivated with a positive attitude – solutions oriented
- Proficiency in Microsoft Word, Excel and PowerPoint
- Experience vetting and hiring vendors and staff
- Previous experience managing and guiding a team preferred
- Ability to lead at a senior level and interact with senior clients and internal GMR team daily
- Experience leading multiple projects and delegating tasks to various team members as needed, in order to achieve deadlines
- Japan work authorization required for duration of Olympic Games and employment
- Knowledge of local customs, traditions, practices, landscapes highly preferred
- International relocation at sole responsibility of candidate; GMR will not provide relocation assistance