WHY YOU’LL LOVE THIS JOB //
The Director of Fabrication operates within a global experiential agency that provides strategy and planning, creative and design, production, fabrication and measurement services to a variety of clients. This individual will offer leadership, guidance, and training in all areas of fabrication to include, but not limited to, equipment, software, and company policies and procedures. The Director of Fabrication is responsible for managing all activities within the shop to include production, quality control and delivery schedule, while controlling labor costs, monitoring team output and ensuring production standards are met. He/she will be responsible for the overall creative approach and production vision, as well as overseeing day-to-day operations and management/hiring of shop employees.
WHAT YOU’LL DO //
- Act as a Leader. Oversee the fabrication shop to include supervising team, while managing production logistics and ensuring overall success in the development and execution of short-term and long-term creative projects for global events. Supervise the custom fabrication of all scenic design and build.
- Manage Operations. Manage onsite installation for global events; lighting, audio, integration technology systems and video for temporary events and permanent installation. Develop systems, policies and procedures for cross-functional teams in order to complete innovative and effective ongoing projects.
- Collaborate. Develop and maintain working relationships with clients and vendors. Participate in business meetings to outline strategy, planning and future investment for production elements. Advise senior leadership on cost-effective alternatives to production. Educate internal teams on best practices and methods of fabrication involving procurement and shop logistics. Collaborate with senior leadership to be in constant pursuit of original concepts, designs and technical approaches, bringing forth innovative ideas and making concepts come to life; implement continuous process improvements for the success of fabrication and production requests.
- Maintain Organization. Manage the preparation and organization of project schedules, production specifications, estimates, and project status updates; Manage budgets (costs, materials, sales), estimates and bids for large and small scale events. Review inventory levels and cost analysis/pricing as needed.
- Think on Your Feet. Identify and troubleshoot any fabrication production issues, determining solutions to resolve and prevent potential reoccurrences.
- Get Your Hands Dirty. Preform fabrication tasks as required by production needs including operating powered and manual handling equipment. Generate 2D/3D and fabrication build drawings; Create 3D renderings for internal and external use. Monitor daily machine maintenance and perform basic equipment set-up functions.
WHAT WE’RE LOOKING FOR //
- A minimum of 10 years’ experience in the fabrication or production industry, preferably within experiential marketing, event/tradeshow marketing or similar capacity. Minimum 3 years in a supervisory role.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Industrial or Production Management, Business Operations or similar field or equivalent experience.
- Demonstrated excellent communication skills, including ability to express well-reasoned, independent thought.
- Strong technical skills and knowledge in welding, carpentry, and painting with ability to recommend proper procedures for specific jobs and provide guidance to a team.
- Ability to meet challenging deadlines in an efficient and profitable manner.
- Strong leadership skills and self-awareness; organizational and project management abilities.
- Experience reading blueprints and prior development of fabrication drawings/renderings.
- Budget development and management for small to large scale event budgets.
- Ability to travel; travel varies by program and may include occasional nights/weekends.
- Computer literacy with proficiency in Microsoft (Word, Excel, and PowerPoint).
- Knowledge of 3D Modeling (CAD software) and Adobe Creative Suite preferred.